3/28/10

Gottahavitis

Last week when I went to the range I took one of my work buddies along.  My main goals for the range trip were to pattern out my shotgun (turkey season is just around the corner) and reacquaint myself with my rifle.  Both of those missions were accomplished.  What I didn't expect was to pick up a strong case of  I Want.

You see my buddy has a Model 1917 rifle with ghost ring sights.  He was kind enough to let me touch off a few rounds.  I do believe that there is very little that is more satisfying than picking up an unfamiliar rifle with open sights, bringing it to your shoulder, and hearing the ringing of steel at 100 and 200 yards.  Now I just have to figure a way to fit another new rifle into the budget.

The other unexpected was the conversation my buddy and I had while we were packing up.  He has never owned a handgun before and was asking me what the process to buy one involved.  It continues to amaze me how many people that have a passing interest in guns have no knowledge of the laws surrounding them.  Yes, you really can walk into a gun store, pick out a new handgun and in less than 30 minutes walk out the door.  Him being a Colorado resident however, he will have to drive at least 3 hours north in order to have the transaction take place.  Now I just have to plan an outing where he can shoot every handgun I own and maybe a few more to help him figure out what might suit him.  All in all, not a bad day at the range.

No comments:

Post a Comment