4/1/12

Why The Number of Guns I Own = Many

I recently bought a new gun for concealed carry.  I took it an my every day carry gun, a Kel-Tec P-11, over to Blucore Shooting Center for some new gun wringing out and recoil therapy.

I shot both the new gun and the P-11, going through drills as well as just doing the usual get to know your new gun routine.



About 7 magazines through the P-11 I started to get FTE's.  I tried to keep going, but it was clear that the P-11 was done for the day.  At that point I moved back over to the Taurus TCP 738.  It performed well, giving me a fair grouping at 5 yards that I am confident I can improve on with a slightly different grip.


Back at the house I started with cleaning the Taurus 738.  The slide bound up (recoil spring) and required persuasion from a rubber mallet.  Not terribly confidence inspiring.

Next was the P-11, after cleaning it and verifying the extractor was working fine I finally spotted the problem.


The ejector done broked in half.  I called Kel-Tec the next day and they are sending a new ejector gratis.  That means my EDC gun is out of commission.  With the problems with the slide on the Taurus and the fact that it's only got about 50 rounds through it, I'm very glad I've got other options.

For the last couple days I've been comfortably carrying the 1911.  Having many options is nice when want suddenly finds a way to turn into need.

1 comment:

  1. I think you will find that it is rare a KelTec has failures. They are a fine weapon for CCW. Like you I have other carry options. If a person is going to carry they realize there is a need for additional weapons. Hope you were able to get thru the ejector problem.

    ReplyDelete